August, 11, 2009
To: The University of Notre Dame Development Office
I will not be giving any donations to the Annual Fund in light of the University's decision to honor President Obama at Commencement.
This honor was awarded in direct defiance of the 2004 guidance given by the US bishops. Mr. Obama is arguably the most prominent and powerful abortion advocate in the world. For a Catholic university to honor him as such was disgraceful.
I will reconsider my decision to withhold donations to the Annual Fund when the following developments have occurred:
- Fr. Jenkins has publicly apologized, resigned, or been replaced as University president, AND
- The University has undertaken a clear change in direction by fully embracing its Catholic identity in all its endeavors.
In the meantime, I will redirect my donations to other worthy causes.
Class of 1991
If you would like to help in the fight to restore the Catholic identity of the University of Notre Dame, you can:
1. Check out and support the Sycamore Trust. Click here for their website.
2. Check out and support the wonderful on-campus initiative, the Notre Dame Fund to Protect Human Life. The website is here.
3. Join the Facebook Group Pro-Life Alumni and Friends of Notre Dame which can be found here.
Addendum: I have posted the letter of another ND alumnus here.