In a recent essay, Jenn Giroux, a registered nurse, relates the troubling facts about impact of contraceptives on women's health (with a list of citations/references).
Ms. Giroux also notes that many women are unaware that when contraceptives inevitably fail to prevent contraception, abortions result because the contraceptive prevents the embryo from attaching to the womb.
...The Birth Control Mandate has forced the issue of contraception to move from being the elephant in the room to center stage. Perhaps in time we will see that it was a hidden blessing for our country. For years pro-life organizations refused to discuss or take on this topic despite the fact that free access to birth control increases the number of surgical abortions.(1) (2) Most people repeat over and over that birth control decreases the number of abortions.
Nothing could be farther from the truth.
In conjunction with the defense of both religious liberty and the spiritual well-being of women, we must also refute the absurd and deceptive statement that “women are healthier on birth control”.
Providing free hormonal birth control to women under the guise of "preventative services" and "women’s health" is a lie and women of all faiths deserve to know the truth.
Hormonal birth control methods can enter the body in various ways. These ways include "The Pill" (by mouth), the Mirena IUD (Intrauterine Device), the implant (placed under the skin), ‘the Patch’ (absorbed through the skin) and the Vaginal Nuvaring. There are many other estrogen-progestin name brands that can be added to this list.
Any way you name it, these hormone drugs dispense poison into a woman’s body.
Perhaps HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius should inform her President of the following before he makes additional statements to the press like “it is cheaper to prevent than to treat.”
Never before has the US government mandated that private companies must provide services and it adds insult to injury when this mandate includes substances that harm women and cause them to unknowingly self-abort their babies a certain percentage of the time when they are using these substances.
- Since 1975 there has been a 400% increase in in situ breast cancer among pre-menopausal women under 50 years old. This mirrors the increased use of birth control over these same years. In situ is a medical term which means “at the location.” (4)
- A Mayo Clinic study confirms that any young girl or woman who is on hormonal birth control for 4 years prior to their first full term pregnancy increases their breast cancer risk by 52%. (5)
- Women who use hormonal birth control for more than 5 years are four times more likely to develop cervical cancer. (6)
- The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a research arm of the World Health Organization, classifies all forms of hormonal contraception as a Group 1 carcinogen. This group of cancer causing agents also includes cigarettes and asbestos. (7) Why is it that the FDA can require cigarette manufacturers to place warning labels and real life photos of corpses on cigarette packages to warn consumers of the health dangers yet they, in turn, take an equally harmful substance (hormonal birth control) and force companies to give it away free to young girls without parental consent and woman of all ages?
- For high school boys and men to take steroid drugs, it is a crime. Whereas girls and women taking steroid drugs (i.e. hormonal birth control) are now treated as if they are taking a sacred, life preserving vitamin that women cannot live without. (8)
- In October 2010 the NY Times carried an article about Hormone Replacement Therapy drugs. It quoted the America Medical Association (AMA) as warning women that these post-menopausal drugs which were originally marketed as keeping a women “young and sexy” were discovered instead to be more likely to cause advanced and deadly breast cancer.(9) It stopped short of making one other startling revelation: The only difference between hormone replacement therapy drugs which cause deadly breast cancer and the hormonal birth control drugs (now mandated by the Obama administration) is that the birth control drugs are six times the dosage---and are the very same drug!
How is it possible for women to self-abort when birth control is meant to prevent pregnancy? It is possible because many of these birth control methods still allow the woman’s body to ovulate every month. If sexual relations occur during that time, it is possible to get pregnant.
Recently doctors tried to figure out why some women could not get pregnant using artificial insemination. They conducted a study which discovered that the lining of a woman’s uterus must be at least 8mm thick in order for a baby, in its tiniest form, to implant and grow in the womb. They found that the use of hormonal contraception (in any of the forms mentioned above) generally keeps the uterine lining below 6mm. (10)
To be clear, if a baby is conceived by a woman on hormonal birth control the embryo cannot implant and grow to full gestation of nine months if the integrity of the uterine lining is too thin. Instead the baby, in its tiniest form, is unknowingly self-aborted by its mother. This is what is meant by the word “abortifacient.” It isn’t just the “morning after” pill or “Ella” that is in the abortion inducing drug category. It is nearly all of the hormonal birth control that is being mandated.
Since Roe v Wade there has been over 55 million surgical abortions. These chemical abortions add an estimated 250 million additional abortions to our nation’s holocaust. (11)
This is not information that should be kept from the public. Women deserve to be told the truth. They are not being warned that birth control methods are causing breast, liver, and cervical cancer. They are not being told about the “silent killer” effect which is causing them to unknowingly abort their babies.
They are instead being told that they are healthier on birth control because it decreases ovarian and uterine cancer. According to the American Cancer Society, out of 100 women with cancer, 31 have breast cancer, six have uterine cancer, and three have ovarian cancer. This is not a healthy tradeoff of risks that is worth taking. (12)
If, indeed, “it is cheaper to prevent than to treat” then it is time for the White House, Kathleen Sebeilius and all health agencies within the government to sound the warning trumpet to warn women on hormonal birth control about these devastating medical consequences.
Clearly, birth control does not help women at risk, it places women at risk.
(2) Jones RK, Darroch JE and Henshaw SK, "Contraceptive use among U.S. women having abortions in 2000–2001", Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health (2002) 34 (6): 294–303.
(3) International Center for Health Statistics, Division of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) 2003.
(5) Kahlenborn et al., “Oral Contraceptive Use –as a risk factor for pre-menopausal breast cancer: a meta analysis”, Mayo Clinic proceedings 2006 pp. 1290-1320.
(6) Bosch, et al, “Effect of oral contraceptives on risk of cervical cancer...” International Agency of Research on Cancer, 2002.
(7) International Agency for Research on Cancer, a research arm of the World Health Organization, 2010.
(9) New York Times, Oct. 19, 2010.
(10) Rabe Tetal, "The Effects of Monophasic and Triplasic Oral Contraceptives on Ovarian Function and Endometrial Thickness", Eura J Contra Reproductive Care (1997); 2, 39-51
(11)) Kuhar et al,”Infant Homocides through Contraceptives”, International Pharmacists for Life (2003), 5th Edition .
So, in light of this troubling information, is there a safe and healthy alternative to contraception?
More and more people are turning to Natural Family Planning.
Natural Family Planning is science-based, 99% effective, and is not, repeat not, the so-called "rhythm method."
And there is no cost. NFP is free!!!
Information and resource links can be found HERE.
Check it out! You might be pleasantly surprised by what you find.